Friday, June 12, 2009

O'Reilly vs. Future Kids

Although I do love my little man O'Reilly (our housewarming gift from the parents), I am realizing that he sometimes drives me a little nuts. The cat has a fascination with digging his very sharp nails into everything EXCEPT for his scratching post and scratching toys. He even woke Kirk up one morning this week by taking a nice swipe at Kirk's shoulder with his "talons". Left some pretty gnarly bleeding cuts. He also thinks that he belongs on the kitchen counter whenever we are in the kitchen...and apparently when we are sleeping, as a few mornings ago I walked into the kitchen to find the sour dough bread loaf chewed and shredded with his teeth and claw marks all over it. His new thing is to dig his claws into the NEW carpet and pull up as hard as he can. I have been seeing threads from the carpet all over the house. People!!!...he has a very large fancy scratching post (thanks to my mom) that I even put cat nip all over to attract him. He would rather stare at me while I am telling him NO and continue to tug at our new carpet. He is on the other hand one of the sweetest cats of all time. Very loving and adores being loved on in anyway. This morning he has been driving me crazy with the scratching on the couch, screen door and the carpet...so I threw the little stinker outside. Maybe he can go scratch up the trees or something.

Kirk and I have been joking lately to each other as we have to feed this little man, discipline him, clean up after him, take care of him when he got sick a few days ago...we say it is practice for when we have kids. I was thinking this morning though, when we get annoyed like this by our future kids...I don't think it's appropriate to just throw the little stinkers outside, right? Hmmm...Kirk and I will have to think about that one.

8 comments:

Lolly Caruana said...

this made me laugh out loud! i think the backyard is a great place for a timeout! i'm sure your kids will love it, if that's your idea of "punishment"!

Jessica said...

If it get's too bad O"Reilly is always welcome in Agua Dulce...aka some Mountain Lion's belly. I am just kidding I would never intentionally do that to one of God's creatures. Besides, I wouldn't want those Mountain Lions hanging around thinking that they would find something else to eat, like my child.

Wendy said...

Ahhh twinner. O Reilly is a super cute cat... but you forgot to mention the cat hair every where too. No bueno. This is why I am a not pet kina gal. Too many issues! My vote, get rid of the kitty and have a baby :)

sfitz said...

Why do you think Ben is at your house for long periods of time? I have no problem with throwing the little stickers out.

sfitz said...

Oh, and I agree with Wendy.

Jess said...

so long as it's just the backyard, I don't see any problem with putting the kids out. (maybe not when they're little bitty, but once they can walk...)

Candie said...

hilarious post :)
tell mr. o'reilly if he messes with my picture..its war!

i cant believe i still havent seen your house! i feel like such a bad friend. lemme know when you have a free day soon- lets schedule this thing ASAP. i miss YOU! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wendy too! When you want to put you future kids out, that's when it's time to call Grandma. Although I love cats, that offer does not extend to O'Reilly :)

Love, Mom