Sunday, May 31, 2009

Yes You Should

Over my 28 years of life I have done things that absolutely shaped who I am today, in my opinion for the better. Below is a short list of things I think everyone should have to do during their life. Maybe not have to do...but would benefit from at least.
  1. Work as a server - I was a server for many years in many different restaurants...it is a sometimes daunting job. You spend hours SERVING people, doing anything they ask with a smile. (Well, that is what you should do). If you have been a server you know what I am talking about and you probably tip well and treat the servers who deserve it with respect and compassion all the time. If you tip less than 15%, if you bark orders at servers, don't look them in the eyes and have no patience when dining out, there is still time for you. Spend just 1 shift serving...you will be converted. (note: there are specific circumstances where servers absolutely DO NOT deserve to be tipped well and are really bad at their job. To those people I say...maybe hospitality is not the proper profession for you - why not try a desk job with little or no interaction with humans)
  2. Watch the movie American History X - I am sure some of you agree with me and some of you are saying...NO I can't watch that movie, it's too intense. But seriously people! This movie is a must see, especially for young adults. Granted I may have been a little young when I first saw it and it does have very graphic scenes and language, but it has life changing moments in my opinion. The guts of this movie are so important for people as they are forming their opinions and beliefs about others. This country has come a long way, but not all the way and I can honestly say that watching the movie made an impact on my actions towards others.
  3. Travel out of the country - I did this for the first time (aside from short trips to Mexico) 3 years ago when I went to Germany with Kirk for the Word Cup. (Tangent - another one for the list - being in another country aside from the US during the World Cup. To experience every other nations favorite past time during it's highest honor of play is indescribable. The fans, the excitement and passion - unreal!). Anyway...back to Germany. As an American, I think it is eye opening and at times uncomfortable to be in another country. To see how you are treated as an American. To see how other countries not only speak their native tongue, but also English and other languages too. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being an American, but it opens your eyes to some hypocrisy and selfishness that is I think naturally bred into us in the states.
  4. Climb Half Dome - Seriously the hardest physical thing I have ever done. I think we may have set the record for longest duration of time climbing half dome without spending the night on the way. I could barley walk the next day and ate crap going down crazy rock stairs about a mile before the end. I plan on climbing it again, but need to get my caboose in shape before that!
  5. Volunteer - whether it be with sick kids, elderly people, orphans, homeless...do it. I have had some the the best experiences and met some of the most amazing people while volunteering. I am a firm believer that you actually get more out of it than the people you are helping do. Change your life, while helping others!

Well, those are just a few of my suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for me?

6 comments:

Lolly Caruana said...

become a mommy. hands down the most intense, eye-opening, heart-wrenching, joy-giving experience i've ever had. i highly recommend it. :)

Candie said...

such an awesome blog whoolay!
i have never seen American History X -- if you are willing to see it again id love to watch it with you!

Lolly Caruana said...

just thought i'd mention, in case anyone else does...that the sage-colored backdrop to your blog page makes the text blurry when scrolling down. it's not a big deal--it stops when you stop scrolling, but if anyone else is like me, i like to read "on the go." :) Love you all!!!

Noblekain said...

"I LOVE being an American, but it opens your eyes to some hypocrisy and selfishness that is I think naturally bred into us in the states."

I'm curious. Like what?

Troy said...

"Or...or or...being electrocuted!"

Good blog. The server one is good, although it's pretty specific to your own experience I think (yep, we've been having this fight for going on a decade now :) . I think you get a lot of the same experiences in any service job, and many of those don't involve tips at all.

I could do thousands and thousands of words about movies people need to see before they die, and American History X is definitely one of them. A lot of the stuff applies not only to race and ethnicity, but also to basically any worldview that people cling to without thinking critically about it.

Wendy said...

Troy... would you just start a blog already!